I've been meaning to make this dress for a while, and finally found the perfect excuse... a wedding! This weekend were off to an old college friends wedding, and as there was nothing in my closet that was particularly enticing for this special occasion, I got out the scissors and sewing machine and set to work. Okay, it took way longer than expected... maybe a week and a half of broken minutes here and there, but nothing ever gets done as expected with my wild babe running around. I'm just glad I gave myself extra time before the wedding to do it. I think it's pretty fun... I'm a little worried it makes me look wider than I am, but I usually feel a little self-conscious in dresses.
I got to use some Anna Maria Horner fabric called "Baby Bouquet" that I got on clearance a while back and have been hoarding for just such a project. It's super soft and almost silky feeling material. I love it! The pattern is " New Look" #6887: style D w/ sleeves from A. The pattern looks relatively simple, but there were a few complicated parts of the construction that slowed me down a bit having to do with the inner placket. Pattern reading is one of my least favorite parts about sewing. It feels much more natural when I construct things from scratch because then I don't have to stumble through someone else's confusing instructions and construction methods. But I'm hoping that by using patterns for sewing clothes I'll get more a knack for designing my own clothing patterns and then I'll be able to make all sorts of wacky things. Muhahahah!